Monthly Manufacturing Performance December 2012Date: 25 January 2013
- On a seasonally adjusted month-on-month basis, manufacturing output grew 5.4% in December 2012. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output increased 1.2%.
- On a year-on-year basis, Singapore’s manufacturing output declined 0.6% in December 2012. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output fell 5.2%.
I Total Manufacturing Performance
- On a seasonally adjusted month-on-month basis, manufacturing output grew 5.4% in December 2012 compared to November 2012. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output increased 1.2%. On a year-on-year basis, manufacturing output declined 0.6% in December 2012. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output fell 5.2%. On a three-month moving average basis, manufacturing output contracted 1.1% in December 2012, compared to a year ago. Manufacturing output rose 0.1% in 2012 compared to 2011.
II Performance by cluster
- Output of the biomedical manufacturing cluster expanded 19.5% in December 2012 compared to the same period a year ago. The pharmaceuticals segment climbed 21.0%, mainly due to a different mix of active pharmaceutical ingredients being produced. Robust export demand for medical devices drove the medical technology segment to record a gain of 11.8%. On a year-to-date basis, output of the biomedical manufacturing cluster increased 9.9%, compared to the same period a year ago.
- Output of the transport engineering cluster grew 10.6% year-on-year in December 2012. The marine & offshore engineering segment increased 14.8% due to higher contributions from oil rig projects as well as ship conversion jobs. The aerospace segment rose 6.7% with higher volume of repair jobs from commercial airlines. Output of the transport engineering cluster in 2012 grew 11.2% compared to 2011.
- The chemicals cluster’s output rose 4.4% on a year-on-year basis in December 2012. The petrochemicals segment increased 9.7% because of lower output in December 2011, as a result of plant shutdowns. Output of the specialty chemicals and petroleum segments grew 2.3% and 1.7%, respectively. For the whole of 2012, the chemicals cluster’s output was 0.4% lower than 2011.
- The general manufacturing cluster’s output declined 2.4% in December 2012 on a year-on-year basis. The miscellaneous industries segment grew 3.4%, but this was more than offset by declines in the other segments. The printing segment fell 7.6%, on the back of lower demand for commercial printing, and the food, beverages & tobacco segment contracted 7.9% on account of weak export demand. On a year-to-date basis, output of the general manufacturing cluster grew 2.0%, compared to the same period a year ago.
- Output of the precision engineering cluster was 7.9% lower year-on-year in December 2012, with both segments recording lower output. The precision modules & components segment contracted 2.0%, on the back of lower output in plastic precision components and dies, moulds, jigs & fixtures. Weak export demand for semiconductor related equipment and refrigerating systems contributed to the 12.6% decline in the machinery & systems segment. Cumulatively, output of the precision engineering cluster grew 1.3% in 2012 compared to 2011.
- The electronics cluster’s output contracted 16.9% in December 2012 compared to the same period a year ago, weighed down by continued weakness in electronics demand. The data storage segment fell 5.8%, a reversal from the high growth posted in November, as the low base effect from the Thailand floods wore off. Output of the semiconductors segment decreased 18.2%. Cumulatively, electronics output fell 11.3% in 2012 over 2011.
- The next monthly manufacturing performance media release will be issued on 26 February 2013.
For media enquiries, please contact
Mr Mustaffa Ehsan
(Tel: 6832-6037 / Handphone: 9295-8025 / Email: email@example.com).
For further information, please contact
Mr Chong Tse Ming
(Tel: 68326677 / Handphone: 91547959/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
Supporting tables and charts for December 2012 manufacturing performance report.
25 January 2013