Monthly Manufacturing Performance October 201326 November 2013
- On a year-on-year basis, Singapore’s manufacturing output grew 8.0% in October 2013. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output increased 10.4%.
- On a seasonally adjusted month-on-month basis, manufacturing output was unchanged in October 2013. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output grew 0.2.
(I) Total Manufacturing Performance
- On a year-on-year basis, manufacturing output grew 8.0% in October 2013. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output increased 10.4%. On a three-month moving average basis, manufacturing output rose 7.0% in October 2013, compared to a year ago. On a seasonally adjusted month-on-month basis, manufacturing output was unchanged in October 2013. Excluding biomedical manufacturing, output grew 0.2%.
(II) Performance by cluster
- The electronics cluster’s output recorded robust year-on-year growth of 22.8% in October 2013, with most segments expanding amidst improved demand. The computer peripherals, other electronics modules & components and semiconductors segments registered output growth of 85.8%, 50.5% and 20.3%, respectively. Cumulatively, output of the electronics cluster rose 1.3% from January to October this year, compared to the same period last year.
- Output of the transport engineering cluster increased 8.9% year-on-year in October 2013. The marine & offshore engineering segment expanded 17.8%, supported by higher contributions from rig building projects. In contrast, the land and aerospace segments declined 3.5% and 4.1%, respectively. Output of the transport engineering cluster rose 2.6% in the first ten months of 2013, compared to the same period last year.
- Output of the precision engineering cluster grew 5.0% year-on-year in October 2013, supported by higher output in the machinery & systems segment. This was partly due to the low base last year when export demand for semiconductor related equipment was weak. On the other hand, the precision modules & components segment fell 4.5% on the back of lower output in metal stamping and optical instruments & photographic equipment. Cumulatively, output of the precision engineering cluster shrank 6.8% year-on-year in the first ten months of this year.
- The chemicals cluster’s output fell 0.9% year-on-year in October 2013. The other chemicals and petrochemicals segments grew 4.6% and 2.4%, respectively, but the petroleum segment contracted 5.8% on the back of weak refining margins. Output of the chemicals cluster in the first ten months of 2013 rose 0.5% on a year-on-year basis.
- The general manufacturing cluster’s output decreased 1.6% in October 2013, compared to a year ago. The miscellaneous industries segment’s output increased 3.1% with higher output of batteries and furniture, but this was more than offset by declines in the food, beverages & tobacco (-4.2%) and printing (-9.1%) segments. On a year-to-date basis, output of the general manufacturing cluster rose 2.1%.
- Output of the biomedical manufacturing cluster contracted 2.3% in October 2013 on a year-on-year basis. The medical technology segment expanded 20.0% on account of higher demand from the US. However, pharmaceuticals output fell 6.9% due to a different mix of active pharmaceutical ingredients produced. On a year-to-date basis, output of the biomedical manufacturing cluster increased 2.1%, compared to the same period a year ago.
- The next monthly manufacturing performance media release will be issued on 26 December 2013
For media enquiries, please contact
Mr Mustaffa Ehsan
(Tel: 68326037/ Handphone: 92958025/ Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
For further information, please contact
Mr Chong Tse Ming
(Tel: 68326677/ Handphone: 91547959/ Email: email@example.com)
Supporting tables and charts for October 2013 manufacturing performance report.
26 November 2013